The Poisoned Ink Well

Wednesday, November 13, 2002


The best and absolutely the worst thing that my parents ever did to me was exposing me to that crowd (the politicians) at such a hopelessly young age. I was 14 or 15 when I started attending functions around the Governor's Mansion and the Capital. I was naïve, lacking in poise, maturity, and without ambition, or political aspirations. I told everyone that I was 19 and if I seemed dumb it is only because I was so young and I admired them and the power and influence of their words and the way they could work a crowd.

There were many good things. I liked the speeches, just to hear any of the surviving Long's speak or watch Edwin Edwards stir up a labor crowd was like listening to good gospel music.

Between, you and me, reader, I think that if I had never met any of them, or been exposed to their way of doing business, I would have been better off in life. Certainly they never helped me or hurt me, and after my father passed away, I was just another whore to them.

Home